New York Times Digital Edition (registration required)
CUNY offers an Academic Pass to the Digital New York Times to CUNY faculty, students and staff!
This is the edition of the newspaper you are used to seeing when you visit the New York Times web site, only now, through the CUNY subscription, you can view more articles than ever before. Here is all you need to do to get started using the “paper of record” in digital format.
Log in or register HERE.
Sign up for access as a Queensborough Community College user:
- Visit the NY Times web site at: https://myaccount.nytimes.com/verification/edupass
- Register for an individual account using your email account ending with “cuny.edu.”
- Follow the steps to confirm the NY Times account you have created once you have finished registering.
- As soon as you create this NY Times account, you will have one year of access to the NY Times paid for through CUNY. CUNY is likely to renew this subscription beyond the first year.
- What if I already have my own subscription and account for the Digital New York Times?
If you already have a personal subscription to the digital NYT, here are your options:
- If you already have an annual subscription, you can cancel it and the New York Times, Co. will issue a refund. Contact the NYT customer service at 1-800-698-4637 directly to do this, or if you subscribed through iTunes, follow the instructions here. There may be other things you have to do, depending on the device you have been using to read the NY Times.
- If you already have a monthly subscription, the New York Times will not issue a refund for that month if you choose to cancel the individual subscription.
- Regardless of the timeframe of your current individual subscription, you can cancel your account and open a new account in order to get free access through the academic pass.
- If you decide to switch to an academic pass account and used a CUNY email when you set up a profile for your individual subscription, go back and change the email in that profile to a non-cuny.edu email address. This will free-up the CUNY email address and allow you to sign up for the CUNY academic pass to the NY Times.
- If you registered for the NY Times before using a non-CUNY email, you can change the email in your account profile to your CUNY e-mail and this will give you access to the academic pass.
Are there any limitations to using the academic pass?
- Apps are available for using the academic pass on a mobile device. Visit http://nytimes.com/mobile.
- The academic pass does not work with the iPad tablet app, but does work on iPad browsers.
- The academic pass does work on an iPhone.
- The academic pass limits the number of archives articles from 1923 to 1980 that can be downloaded. For additional articles, you can use the CUNY subscription to the historical edition of the New York Times that can be accessed through theQueensborough Community College Library database list.
Find answers at the New York Times Education Pass troubleshooting guide.